Friday, April 27, 2012

Card #1: Sunflower Friend


Well, I have been at it again.  Crafting instead of cleaning.  LOL

So this is my first card in a very long time.  I saw this technique on You Tube and just had to try it. 

Here is the website and information on my inspiration. It is StampTV and I would highly recommend it to all the stampers out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXque5puCMI&feature=relmfu


I did have a new purchase after viewing this video.  I decide to invest in a Cuttlebug.  Fortunately, Hobby Lobby had a 40% off coupon this week so that made the decision to purchase even easier.  I have used one before and really did like it for embossing paper.

So here is my version of distressing a patterned paper.

Sunflower Friend

I love to make distress cards.  There really is no wrong way to distress something.  If you don't like it you just keep working with it till you do.  This one was quick and easy to do.

This is how I made my card.....

I picked out a patterned paper which had a vintage look to it.  I am sorry I don't still have the package to tell you the brand name.  But here is a picture of it.  There is a bit on ink on it around the edges but it gives you an idea of what it started out looking like.
I first ran the patterned paper through my Cuttlebug using the 'Flower Clusters' Embossing Folder by Sizzix. I then took the paper and using two Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads; aged it.  Using first the 'Weatherwood' and working in a circular pattern,  I lightly inked the entire surface of the paper leaving places untouched by the ink and inking more heavily in other places.  I was careful not to apply to much pressure to ensure the ink stayed on the embossed areas only.  This really made the embossing pop.  To give it a more aged look, I took the Tea Dye and working in the same circular motion added color to the edges and a few places in the middle.  When the paper had the look I wanted I trimmed it to size.  The accidentally boarder which I call it happen because the paper was cut slightly larger than the embossing folder.  When put through the Cuttlebug it made this nice wrinkling effect which when after ink was applied too was gorgeous.  

I decided not to mess with fate and left it.  I think it really adds something to the card.  It just goes to show you never know what is going to happen when you craft.  The best things sometimes come out accidentally.   

For the card base, I used Brown Kraft Card.  These are pre-made cards that already have a score for folding.  It was quick and easy since I was mainly concentrating on the embossing and aging of the patterned paper.

I use these a lot on my aged cards to give a earthy feel and keep them on hand so I don't always have to cut and score the base of my card. My mother hates them but I think some of my best cards have been on these.

To adhere the background to the card base, I used a glue runner and made sure to smooth out the wrinkles caused by the embossing.  I also had to trim the card base down to match the background.  It made for a smaller card but still a nice size.

Next, I picked a solid piece of green card stock to be the background for the stamped image.  The color I chose complemented the ink colors on the patterned paper.  I used the Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities smallest oval to cut the shape.  

Web Surf Break----------OK...so I went out to get the link and was sidetracked LOL It is a great site and there is a big selection of these to chose from.  They also have an Idea Gallery with lots of great ideas.

These little dies are wonderful and although they are pricey they are well worth it.  This is another item I learned about on StampTV (which I am now addicted to...LOL...and blame for my recently spending spree LOL).   I would suggest purchasing when they are on sell or with a coupon to help with the cost.  I got mine at Hobby Lobby.  The set of six was $49.99 and they were on sale 30% off.  Pretty good deal. Now back to the card.

For the centerpiece, I chose Rubber Stampede Inc. #A1663H Sunflower.  This is one of my favorite stamps and I thought it went well with the theme of the background.

I tend to work from the ground up on most of my cards getting the base, background and border color done then picking a stamp to compliment it.  I have worked the other way also but this is usually when I have purchased new stamps that I can't wait to use.

I chose to use Watercolor paper to stamp my image on.  I use this a lot for my stamps because I really like the texture of it and the markers and watercolors blend really well on it.  It also can take a lot of abuse.  The thickness of the paper also add dimension to the card.  I used the Tea Dye stamp pad for the image.

After letting the image dry for a few minutes.  I used my Copic Markers to color the sunflowers and watercolors to do the leaves.  I used watercolors on the leaves because I wanted the sunflower to pop with the leaves being more muted.  I again used my Spellbinders die to cut the oval this time using the next smaller one from the one used previously.  I also used them to emboss the edges of both ovals.  

Since I was making this for my best friend at work, I stamped 'Friend' on the front. 

I had promised her at work that day she would get the first one I made.  Yes, I have her addicted to StampTV also.

With this complete, I decided to add a embellishment.  I chose ribbon because it add depth and texture to the card without over powering the stamped image.  I had this piece left over from another project and it matched perfectly.  

No, I never throw anything away. You just never know when you might be able to use it...LOL

I used a glue runner to adhered it to the card.  It was cut slightly larger than the card base so once I had it on the card I simply trimmed the edges.  I again used the glue runner to adhere the stamped image to the card centering it in the green oval.

I was pretty happy with the way this one turned out and my friend was delighted to receive it at work the next day.  I do intend to use this wonderful technique again and would recommend you try it also.........

Supplies I used:

Brown Kraft Paper Card Stock
Green Card Stock [DCWV Adhesive Mat Stack Neutrals]
Patterned Paper
100 lb Watercolor Paper [Canson Aquarelle]
Green Checked Ribbon [RibbonFX from Hobby Lobby]

Tim Holtz Distress Ink   (I absolutely love his products.....)
  • Tea Dye
  • Weathered Wood
Copic Markers
  • Y08-Acid Yellow
  • Y35-Maize
  • Y02-Canary Yellow
Rubber Stampede Inc Stamp A1663H 'Sunflower'
The Paper Studio 'Everyday Expressions Stamps
Sizzix Embosser Folder 'Flower Clusters'
Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities Oval





No comments:

Post a Comment