Sunday, October 6, 2013

Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells Book

Hello!

Today I am showing off my first ever finish combination box.  Let me tell you this is a big deal.  I have always loved the looks of these boxes but have always had a creative block when trying to do one.  I would sit and look at all these little boxes and get so overwhelmed with what to do with each one that I would just end up putting the whole thing but in my stash for later. 

When I received my Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells Collection in the mail, I decided to give it another try.  Halloween is my all time fav for creating with and I just knew this new paper would bring my creative juices to the surface and let me finally accomplish what I have set out so many times to do before.

And I am happy to report we have SUCCESS!!!! Finally!  LOL At least I think I do and I hope you do also.

So here it is ............... TA DAAA!!!!!

I figured I would start with the cover because that seems less daunting to me.  I so loved the steampunked girl in this picture and pretty much keep the front simply.  I added a set of glasses that was a brad and used Glossy Accents to make the lens.  I also added the three pictures using pop dots to give some depth.  Lots of Stickles for some glittery accents. Topping off the one hat with a feather.


The closer for the book is made from Tim Holtz Grungepaper.  I used Tim Holtz Vintage Photo and Black Soot to give it a leathered looked and a Tim Holt Hitch Faster to keep it hooked.  A couple of brads on the back part to give it some interest.

Now for the inside......


I loved the paper used for the inside cover and let it speak for itself because I just couldn't stand to cover any of it up.

Now for the hard part, those pesky little boxes.  LOL  I must say in the end I did do a lot of head scratching and fretting over each one.


The first box I attempted was one that I had seen on the web and I just loved the trees for the added dimensional effect.  I added Glossy Accents to the windows to make them look like they had glass panes.  The trees where sprayed with Tattered Angels Afraid of the Dark.



I thought once I got one down the rest would be a piece of cake. Well, it didn't really work out that way but I did get a groove and pretty soon each box seemed easier to do than the last.  I think the secret is to NOT think.

My favorite by far was the skeleton box.  He was from some garland that I got from Michaels.  Once freed from his string he took up residence in the box and seems to command over all the others.  I sprayed some cheese cloth with Tattered Angels spray to give it a creepy color and he wrapped up in it to keep his bones warm in the October chill.

I think the most fun I had was making the little bottles.  I covered them with Glue n Seal to give them a worn look and took Tim Holtz Vintage Photo and Black Soot to give them an even more aged look.  The poison is actual V05 Hot Oil Treatment.  I learned that from a very clever lady at My Heart's Fancy... Lisa Bruno.  The spider webs is stuffing from one of my puppies toys.  Let me just say my puppies are de-stuffers of their puppy toys and there is always an endless supply of this laying around the house. LOL

For the Vampire Blood, I used Alcohol Inks.  It was the only thing that I had that truly looked like blood.  But be warned if you are using a corked bottle you need to seal the cork or the ink will soak right thru it.  

For eye balls, I took little pears and put a black dot on them with a Black Sharp and put in the bottle with some V05.  Sad but you can't really tell from the picture they are eye balls.

The Coffin Nails were just small finishing nails that I covered with Glue and Seal and then Black Soot ink to age.

 
The Cameo was a rub on from Tim Holt that I put on a metal finding.  I used Glossy Accents to make it appear under glass.  I used Glue n' Seal with some distress ink to make the bottom of the blub look aged.



 
Another creepy hand from Michaels holding on to a Evidence Tube wrapped in creepy cheese cloth.  I used Glue n' Seal on the hand also so that I could apply some ink to it for a aged effect.  I must say I love Glue n' Seal it is so versatile. Not only great for glue but wonderful to put on items that normally you wouldn't be able to ink.
The Black Cat is one of Tim Holtz newest Sizzix framlets where you get the stamps and the dies in the same package.  These are great by the way!!!  I so love the Retro Halloween because it reminds my of my childhood.  I used the cobweb stamp for the background on the spider and added a little Stickles to make it a Black Widow in the corner.  Although I think the big spiders is planning on lunching on her.  LOL


In all I was happy with my success and needless to say I am already working on another combination box.  The creative block has been broken.  Heaven helps us all.  ; )



Happy Paper Cutting!!



I tried to list everything that I used in this project but I am sure I missed some things.  I usually keep a running list while I work but didn't this time so I do apologize if I missed something.  A lot of the little stuff was from my stash. The skeleton, skulls, spider, raven and hand were all from Michaels.  Some of the glass jars I used were actually empty insulin bottles I had from when I use to have a diabetic cat.  These are a great size for these boxes.

Materials:
Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells Paper Collection
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Configuration Book Shadow Box 9 x 12 TH93078
Tim Holtz Idea-ology CORKED DOMES TH93092
Tim Holtz Idea-ology HITCH FASTENERS
Tim Holtz Idea-ology PLAQUETTES Metal TH92921
Tim Holtz Idea-ology APOTHECARY REMNANT RUBS TH93094
Tim Holtz Idea-ology MEMO PINS Split Ring Metal Embellishment TH92833
Tim Holtz Idea-ology 6 x 12 GRUNGEPAPER Grunge Paper TH92841
Tim Holtz Idea-ology LIGHT BULBS TH92900
Cheese Cloth

Supplies, Stamps, Dies, etc:
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads-Vintage Photo and Black Soot
Tim Holtz Distress Paint Dabber-Black Soot
Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks- Butterscotch, Lettuce and Watermelon
Tim Holtz Sizzix Framelits Die Set 5PK w/Stamps - Cobweb Blueprint
Tim Holtz Sizzix Framelits Die Set 5PK w/Stamps - Retro Halloween
Tim Holtz Alterations- Halloween Shadows
Memory Box Manor House 98705
Ranger Glue n' Seal
Ranger Glossy Accents
Stickles Diamond and Xmas Red
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist-Afraid of Dark and Black Magic
Dylusions Ink Spray-Lemon Mist
V05 Hot Oil Treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment