Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Halloween Village

Hello!

Yes, I know it has been a while since I have posted anything.  A lot has been going on since last I was here and while I have been busy crafting as usual I haven't taken the time to sit down and do a post.  Also, the lack of sun lately has prevent me from being able to take any pics.  Getting a good pic in my house is like pulling teeth but since sun was actually out today I decided to brave the cold, blanket in hand and ventured outside to take some pics of my Halloween Village.  No, it wasn't finished by Halloween this year but it was close.  LOL

My inspiration for this project came from a class I attended given by the very talented Anita Houston.  I did a post on this class earlier in October.  Being that Halloween is my favorite holiday I just couldn't resist turning Christmas in the Hood into a spooky Halloween Village.

The village measures 26 x 3.5 inches.  The base is made from three board which I had salvaged from the wood when they built my house years and years ago.  The legs are wood turning in the shape of an apple.  Although the back doesn't look too bad it was still meant to view from the front. 

The houses are Wendy Vecchi Residence Art Parts and also some house pieces I managed to purchase after the class I took.  Some are also from Tim Holtz Artful Dwelling die.  I made all of them the same thickness as Wendy's pieces by cutting three each out of chipboard and gluing together.

The first house was covered with paper from MME Haunted paper pad.  The arch is cut from grungepaper and then embossed with the wood grain Tim Holtz embossing folder.  I used the Dot Fade layering stencil to add some interest to the roof.  The roof and arch are decorated with Silver and Orange Peel Stickles. The door has the Skull and Cross Bones from the Apothecary Remnant Rubs.  The door knob is part of a snap.  The Trick or Treat is a rub as well adhere to a piece of black cardstock.

The second house was covered with Tim Holtz Foil Tape.

I adhered the foil tape to a piece of cardstock then run through with the Rivet Metal embossing folder to look like metal.  I then used Black Soot to give it that aged look.

On the eaves I used the Vintage Photo Distressed Embossing powder and inked the edges with Black Soot.

I used the 31 from the Metal Plaquettes and inked it with Mushroom Alcohol Ink.

Standing in front of the house are two brave trick or treaters cut from the Halloween Shadows die.

This is one of my favorites. 
The third house I used paper from Authentique paper.  I don't remember the name though.  I inked it with Vintage Photo and used the Shatter stencil.  The cob web is cut from the Cobweb die and I add black glitter.

On the front piece of the house I wanted to brick but most of the brick stencils that were out were too big for the size of the house.

Solution:  I used the Tim Holtz Brick Wall die to make a stencil from some cardstock.  I first painted the either piece with Black Soot then used modeling paste to create the bricks.  I inked it up using Black Soot and Fired Brick.

I also used this same technique to brick the front of the base and each tier.  The third tier is also bricked on the top.
The fourth house is also bricked using the same method as above.  For the window pane I used the Overlay Film and stamped the Halloween ticket on it with Archival Jet Black Ink.

For the roof, I used Croco Crackling Paint.  When it dried it gave the roof a nice aged look.

The trees are cut from the Branch Tree die from chipboard.  I then ran each one through with the Woodgrain Embossing folder.  I ink them with Vintage Photo Distressed stain and ink over the raised areas with Black Soot.  Topped that off with Rock Candy Crackle.

The fence was cut from the On the Fence die from black cardstock.  I then embossed it using Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder. 

The last is a church.  I think this is my second favorite house on the block.

This is almost identical to the one from the Christmas in the Hood project but it is Hallween'd out.  I used Liquid Pearls to accent the pieces.

The roof eaves have the Croco Crackling Paint on them as well as the cross.

For the window in the small section I used the Mini Openings die to cut the panes on the building then used it again on a piece of black cardstock to make the window frame.  They were also used on the arch on the main part of the building.

A button is used for the door knob.  It was the wrong color so I painted it with Black Soot Distress Paint.

The bottle brush tree were from the Christmas craft stuff at Michaels.  I used the Tattered Angels spray to tint them green and added a little Black Magic to darken them up a bit.

And what Halloween Village would be complete without a spooky graveyard.

I used the Graveyard On the Edge die and cut them down to two or three tombstone a piece.  To give them depth I cut each three times and glue the three piece together.

I embossed the front, back and edges with Antiquities Cement Embossing Powder.

Since you obviously can't use the embossing ink pad on the edges, my solution was to open the Emboss It Dabber and used a paint brush to apply a light coat.  It worked like a charm.

You can tell by the picture below they look like one piece of board.

The tea lights of course where white and yes I took the Black Soot to them and painted them black.  To give them some interest I cut a piece of the Fence edging and put around them.  The fence was embossed the same as I did on the rest of the project.

To get the trees and houses to stand on the third tier I used little wood blocks painted black.  I adhered them to the back of the object like little legs.  LOL  I then covered them with Spanish moss to hide them.

I scattered Spanish moss throughout the village to add some texture to the base.

I am really happy with the way this project turned out and I am hoping Anita thinks I did her original project justice with the Halloween twist.

Be sure to see if you can find the little owl hiding in the spooky trees!!!!

Happy Paper Cutting!


Here is the list of items used.  I know I missed something because I wasn't writing it down as I went so had to do it from memory.


Materials:
Wendy Vecchi ART PARTS RESIDENCES Studio 490
Heart of Texas Chipboard Houses
Chipboard
Tim Holtz Idea-ology 9 PLAQUETTES Metal TH92921
Tim Holtz Idea-ology APOTHECARY REMNANT RUBS TH93094
Tim Holtz Idea-ology WOODLANDS Trees & Wreath TH93049
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Naturals BLACK AND CREAM Trimmings TH93105
Tim Holtz Idea-ology 6 x 12 GRUNGEPAPER Grunge Paper TH92841
Tim Holtz Core'dinations KRAFT CORE NOSTALGIC Colorcore 2.25 X 12 Cardstock 278952
Ranger ISF30010 METAL FOIL TAPE SHEETS Postcard 4.25 x 5.5 ISF30010
MME Haunted 6x6 Paper Pack
Grafix Clear Overlay Film
Black Cardstock
Michaels Bottle Brush Trees-Small
Michaels Bottle Brush Trees-Medium
Michaels Halloween Pumpkins
Jolee's Boutique Parcel Glitter Spiders
Snaps
Battery Operated Tea Lights
Spanish Moss
Wood Apples
Wood Blocks

Supplies:
Tim Holtz Distress Paint - Black Soot
Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Black Soot, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Fired Brick
Tim Holtz Distress Stain - Vintage Photo
Tim Holtz Sizzix WOODGRAIN Texture Fades Embossing Folders 656644
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die ARTFUL DWELLINGS Movers & Shapers Bigz L Alterations 657218
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die BRANCH TREE Bigz Alterations 656929
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die BRICK WALL Decorative Strip 658240
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die COBWEBS Decorative Strip Sizzlits 658713
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die GRAVEYARD On The Edge 658243
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die HALLOWEEN SHADOWS Decorative Strip 658253
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die ON THE FENCE Edge Alterations 657030
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die ORNATE CROSSES Bigz 658245
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die MINI OPENINGS Movers & Shapers Alterations 657215
Tim Holtz Layering Stencil DOT FADE THS006
Tim Holtz Layering Stencil SHATTER THS014
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint ROCK CANDY Clear Ranger TDC26686
Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder VINTAGE PHOTO Brown Ranger TIM21179
Tim Holtz Distress Markers BLACK SOOT Ranger TDM32458
Tim Holtz Sizzix RIVETED METAL Texture Fades 657848
Tim Holtz Cling Rubber Stamps 2013 SEASONAL CATALOG 1 cms174
Tim Holtz Rubber Stamp HALLOWEEN TICKET G2-1608 Stampers Anonymous
Tim Holtz Cling Rubber Stamps APOTHECARY cms138
Tim Holtz Sizzix Die MINI OPENINGS Movers & Shapers Alterations 657215
Tim Holtz Ranger Clear DISTRESS EMBOSSING INK PAD Ranger Clear
Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink MUSHROOM Grey Adirondack Ranger TIM22091
Ranger Stickles BLACK DIAMOND Glitter Glue SGG15123
Ranger Glitter Glue ICE Stickles ICY SILVER ISG11866
Ranger Stickles ORANGE PEEL Glitter Glue SGG15130
Ranger GOLD PEARL Liquid Pearls Pearlescent Paint LPL28130
Ranger PLATINUM PEARL Liquid Pearls Pearlescent Paint LPL09719
Ranger CLEAR EMBOSS IT DABBER Embossing Industries EMB34162
Ranger CEMENT Embossing Antiquities Powder Industries EAJ00396
Croco Crackling Color Bronze 
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist OLIVE VINE Spray 10315
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist BLACK MAGIC Heidi Swapp Glitter Spray 14276
Ranger Inkssentials GLOSSY ACCENTS Glue Dimensional Adhesive GAC17042
Ranger Glue N' Seal 4 OZ MATTE Inkssentials ink29519
BRILLIANCE Pigment Archival Ink Pad STARLITE SILVER
Liquitex Modeling Paste

No comments:

Post a Comment